Milwaukee Family Lawyers Represent People Facing Difficult Times
Father-and-son advocates providing strong counsel for divorcing clients
At Hart Law Office, we understand the emotional and financial toll associated with family law disputes. With more than 35 years of experience, we are here to help you navigate these complicated legal processes. Whether you are facing a divorce, working through child custody and support issues, or seeking to determine paternity, you can trust us to advocate for the best interests of you and your child in matters such as:
- Divorce — Ending a marriage can be devastating, and the legal divorce process only adds to the stress. We advocate for you in disputes over marital property division, child custody, and child support.
- Alimony — Under certain circumstances, Wisconsin law allows one ex-spouse to receive a portion of the other’s income. This depends on many factors such as one’s own earning capacity and the contribution they made to the earning capacity of their former partner. We can help you determine if you might be eligible for alimony and for how long.
- Child custody and support — When a divorcing couple has children, breakups sometimes become more complicated and contentious. In these cases, Hart Law Office focuses on ensuring a quick, calm process which results in fair child custody and support provisions.
- Division of marital assets — During their marriage, a couple can jointly accumulate a significant amount of property and debt. In a divorce, both must be apportioned between you and your spouse. A Hart Law Office attorney can explain how Wisconsin property division laws affect you.
- Mediation — Not all divorces require long, stressful court battles. Divorce mediation allows you and your spouse to settle issues without a trial. Hart Law Office is committed to collaborative resolution when possible and can guide you through the process.
- Post-divorce modifications — Circumstances can change after a divorce is finalized, necessitating adjustments to support and custody arrangements. If you’ve lost your job or experienced a change in your living situation, our lawyers can help with a post-divorce modification.
Hart Law Office will answer all of your questions to ensure that you are informed and involved at every point of the process.
Assisting individuals and couples with premarital and postmarital agreements
Prenuptial agreements serve an important function even for those who are not wealthy. In addition to keeping what you have, you can also protect yourself from debts that a partner brings to a marriage. Working closely with you, Hart Law Office can draft a document that provides security as you enter a marriage and averts costly litigation if it ends. We can also address these concerns in a postmarital agreement after your wedding.
Experienced lawyers for husbands and wives who opt for legal separation
Spouses who wish to live apart without legally terminating their marriage can file for a legal separation in a process similar to divorce. If this is what you choose, Hart Law Office can assist you with the required procedure, including the sworn testimony from both spouses that the marital relationship is broken. Couples wishing to separate must also state why they seek separation rather than divorce. One year after the separation, the agreement can be converted into a divorce if the couple so wishes.
Contact a Milwaukee family law firm to be there for you in challenging times
Our father-son team at Hart Law Office understands the importance of family. If you are in a family dispute or facing a divorce, call 414-436-3212 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. You can also come by our office in Milwaukee’s historic Third Ward. We represent clients throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
“The Hart law firm is extremely professional and very consistent in successful results. All the attorneys at the firm have strong relationships with DA’s and judges in both major SE Wisconsin counties. Would highly recommend.”
-Joseph ★★★★★ Review From Google
“Mr. Hart is a great Lawyer, he represented my son with great experience, care concern and persistence, I have nothing but respect for attorney Hart he is a man of great integrity and stature, I’m truly glad I had Mr. Hart on my sons team he negotiated a great outcome for us.”
-Marlon ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“Mr. Richard Hart is an excellent trial attorney. He meticulously/methodically probed and illuminated discrepancies in the prosecutions’ case against my loved one. Ultimately, Mr. Richard Hart’s professionalism garnered the respect of the prosecutor as well as the jurors.”
-Anonymous ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“Attorney Hart was so helpful, honest and understanding. He always went above and beyond for everything and made me feel like I wasn’t just another case. Attorney Hart would always explain things to me so I knew exactly what was going on and was never confused. I will never use another attorney again. He is the best!”
-Katie ★★★★★ Review From Avvo